Thursday, June 19, 2014

Full Body Hyperthermia

Preparation for the full body Hyperthermia was more than we expected.  A ECG, lung function test, liver ultrasound and other blood tests were done as preparation.  I was put on a liquid diet 24 hours before the treatment was scheduled to take place.  I also was limited to water and broth up until 12 hours prior to the treatment.  In addition, on the day before, I had a colon flush and several I.V.s.  An enema was given at 5:00am the day of the treatment.  The doctor explained that I would spend 6 hours  in the hyperthermia tent raising my body temperature to 107 degrees F  (41.8 degrees C) for 2 full hours.    

I was taken to the hyperthermia room which was very cold. There were several treatment beds that looked similar to hospital beds with various equipment and large lights above.  The nurse was very nice but a little upset that I didn't take off my toenail polish. She hooked up electrodes to my ear and chest, pulse oxygen clip, a rectal thermometer and plugged in an I.V to my line.  After a few minutes, the nurse said that I would fall asleep.  The next thing I knew, I was lying in the bed looking at the nurse.  She told me everything went very well. The next hour she was checking my blood sugar, oxygen, blood pressure, and temperature.  The nurse put in a urine catheter as well. I was in a lot of pain in my back and I kept telling the nurse how much pain I was in so she went to get me some pain medication.  I was also very droggy from coming out of anesthesia. Chad brought me flowers but I didn't remember!  Below is a picture of me in recovery(with my beautiful flowers).


2 comments:

  1. Karin...I am so happy you are there.
    :)...Kim G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you!
    Pastor Todd & Michelle

    ReplyDelete